Saturday, January 12, 2013

Quotations I Believe In and Hope to Live By

I don't know if you pay much attention to the favorite quotations section of a person's Facebook page.  Mine is filled of great quotes that I believe in and hope to live by.  However I often forget these great words of wisdom.  So in an attempt for me to remember these and hopefully inspire others, here are the quotes I deem worthy of my Facebook page:

1. The Paradoxical Commandments by Dr. Kent M. Keith   
  1. People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway.
  2. If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives. Do good anyway.
  3. If you are successful, you win false friends and true enemies. Succeed anyway.
  4. The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway.
  5. Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable. Be honest and frank anyway.
  6. The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds. Think big anyway.
  7. People favor underdogs, but follow only top dogs. Fight for a few underdogs anyway.
  8. What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight. Build anyway.
  9. People really need help but may attack you if you do help them. Help people anyway.
  10. Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth. Give the world the best you have anyway.
This idea was introduced to me by a former pastor and dear friend.  She was always great at acknowledging the difficult realities of life but still being hopeful.  The thing to take away from The Paradoxical Commandments is that life on Earth will always be difficult, but we can always do better.


2. Preach the Gospel Always, When Necessary Use Words- St. Francis of Assissi
This is another one introduced to me by my former pastor and good friend.  I have read articles disputing the ownership of this idea, but that does not make the message any less valid.  Actions speak louder than words.  We all mean to do well and make a difference, but our words and accolades can get in the way.  Our actions are so much more impactful than piety and good intentions.  This quote brings up the terrific verse of Matthew 6: 3, "But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing."

3. "There are two great truths I know in this world: I am a great sinner and Jesus is a great savior."
This is from the Albert Finney's character in the movie Amazing Grace.  I can't think of a better way to describe our relationship with Christ.  We are going to sin and he is going to save.  This does not give us an excuse to sin or an excuse to attempt to exclude others from the gift of Salvation.  But it gives us assurance in what grace really means.  We are imperfect and He is perfect.  The one without sin will take the place of the sinners.

4. "You do not have the right to choose to feel inadequate"- Martin de Maat
Martin de Maat was an improv teacher at Second City.  He was the kind of guy who tried to "hug" everything out.  He also said, "What do we learn from the Hokey Pokey?  You put your whole self in."  I love and strive for that kind of optimism.  The quote I highlighted acknowledges the realities that keep us from bettering ourselves.  But de Maat points out that we are in control of our inadequacies.  And we do not have the right to choose that state of being when adequacy helps us accomplish so much more.

5. "I could go on forever about the terrible stuff I've seen but at my lowest point where i was just 
bonkers it was the good that brought me back"
An old friend recently told me this and this is one of the things that inspired me to make this blogpost.  This is a friend that I have always looked up to and expected a lot from and his positive view on things is infectious.  Yes we all see terrible things, but we are never void of the good parts of life.  And the good is powerful enough to raise us up.  My friend reminded me to focus on the good.

6. "Be willing to meet people where they are."
This is my personal motto that I have learned from working with several different kinds of people.  My Grandmother is up in years and tends to fall asleep when you talk to her.  If that is what she is capable of, accept and embrace that.  I have spent almost two years working with people with different abilities.  I know a man in his fifties who is only capable of crawling.  If that is what he can do, accept and embrace that.  I have known fully functioning adults that struggle with many emotional issues.  If they are struggling, accept and embrace that.  We are not here to force people or judge them.  This does not mean you have to change who you are.  But you need to be open to things that are uncomfortable to you.  Be willing to meet people where they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment