Monday, December 3, 2012

Some of My Favorite Things of 2012

The year isn't quite over yet, but I wanted to make a list of some of the things I really enjoyed this year. I will make another list for movies later on.

The Fade Away- Garfunkel and Oates

I just discovered Riki Lindhome and Kate Micucci's band this year.  I love so many of their songs.  I Would Never, Worst Song Medley, Pregnant Woman are Smug are all genius.  But this is my favorite song of theirs from this year and features some of the most clever analogies I've ever heard.  This one that actually describes most of my romantic encounters.

The Jenna Maroney Debate- 30 Rock
Outside of the live episode 30 Rock didn't have a good last season, but much like The Office they've been getting it back together for the final season.  This may be one of the series' best episodes and it was one of the best political satires of the year.  Jack and Liz realize that Jenna holds the power to decide the fate of the election and both get to work on lobbying her.

Cartoon Network's 20th Birthday
Cable networks don't have much of an identity anymore and have lost a great deal of flair and personality.  However Cartoon Network has been getting better, mainly due to the endlessly entertaining cartoons Adventure Time and Regular Show.  But Cartoon Network got creative in celebrating its 20th anniversary with several promos featuring characters from the legacies of Hanna-Barbera, Warner Bros. and Cartoon Cartoons.

Paperman- Disney
I love Disney, I really do.  And I am always thrilled to see them experimenting with animation.  This is a sweet, simple story but the animation is truly unique and exciting.

Wolverine and the X-Men Issue 17- Jason Aaron and Mike Allred
I have yet to read Pete Milligan and Mike Allred's run on X-Force and X-Statix, but that doesn't matter because this hilarious issue stands on its own.  Coming out right between AvX and Marvel NOW this brings some much needed levity and fun back to Marvel.  The issue explains what exactly Doop is doing at Wolverine's school.  Highlight of the book is Logan's impression of Cyclops with "six-inch claws stabbed in his face."

Les Miserables Extended First Look
Word is that the movie of Les Mis is amazing.  But even if it isn't this promotional piece is just as thrilling.  It is a genius bit of advertising that sold me on the movie.  It uses the sincerity of the actors and the powerful music to outdo any trailer this year.

Tom Hanks on the Colbert Report
Tom Hanks has no shame and no ego which is great news for us, the audience.  While trying to promote Cloud Atlas (which he also did on Jimmy Fallon by performing a slam poem about Full House) the Oscar winner has fun with his public image and filmography.  Special cameo from Matt Damon who would rather, "be drunk in a movie theatre, heckling Argo."

Garden of Your Mind- Mr. Rogers
I didn't watch much of Mr. Rogers when I was a kid but now that I am older I am fascinated with him.  He is truly an inspiring human being.  This is a great way to honor his legacy, using a new method to remember the past.  I truly believe that if Fred Rogers saw this he would be impressed and inquisitive about it. 

Valley Meadows
I had the pleasure of seeing these two live, if you ever get the chance make sure you take it.  Also buy their album which was just released this year.  But this is a promo for the hip hip duo Valley Meadows, made up of MC Tom Johnson and Mr. S the substitute teacher.  Thanks to these two I am now up on the latest dance craze, "doing the Paul Reiser."

The Greatest Event in Television History
And my favorite thing ever this year has to be Adam Scott's overhyped pet project, The Greatest Event in Television History.  The special chronicles Adam Scott and Jon Hamm's efforts to do a shot by shot remake of the opening titles to Simon and Simon.  I had no idea that Simon and Simon was a show before I saw this, but it is perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment